Skip to main content

Subscribe to be notified of new content!

* indicates required

6 Tips to Declutter Your Wardrobe



Decluttering revealed many things for me, like how I only wore six out of 13 pairs of shoes.


A good wardrobe is not a large wardrobe, but a well-edited one. Unfortunately, this stance I’ve taken seems to be in the minority. I, like many people in the alternative fashion community, obsessed over collecting clothing for the sake of having a larger wardrobe and more “options” for my outfits. Ironically enough, my collection obsession resulted in a poorly curated, mentally draining, unexpectedly restrictive wardrobe. While there are plenty of wardrobe declutter resources out there, I wanted to write this post offering unique advice that worked for me as a lover and wearer of alternative fashion, as well as an aspiring minimalist.


Before you read this article, I highly recommend you read ‘8 Signs You Need to Clean Out Your Closet’ if you haven't already. Only those who fit at least one of those points will benefit from the advice in this article.

  1. Go on a shopping hiatus for at least a month and do a merciful closet purge.
The reason why I recommend this is because it definitely helped me get to know and appreciate what I already had/have. The merciful closet purge involved me removing items I straight up didn’t wear or want anymore. This made the items that I did like and want to keep at the time a bit more visible. Then, after almost exclusively shopping my closet for 3-4 months and taking more outfit photos for Instagram, I familiarised myself with my closet as it existed already. I learned which items I favoured over others, and what direction my style (or perhaps in your case, multiple styles) was heading in.
  1. What is your style/what do you want it to be?
The key to decluttering successfully is having a vision of what you want your wardrobe to look like when you’re done, and next week I will be covering how to find said vision. I’ve mentioned before that one of my major issues was having a vague aesthetic that included anything falling under the umbrella of “colourful” and “kawaii”. I plan to elaborate more on finding one’s style in a future blogpost, but for now I’ll recommend you collate pictures of your favourite outfits from the past 6 months into a virtual collage. Not only will you get an appreciation for where your style is heading, you’ll be able to identify which items are your favourite and most worn. Sometimes the answers might not be what you expect, but you should take those frequently worn items and put them right back in your closet. What’s left is what you carefully evaluate with the following tips.
  1. Remove any items that you haven’t worn recently and have no immediate and/or specific plans to wear in the near future.
We all have those “just in case” or “someday” items, and the truth is that these items often reflect our fantasy selves more than they reflect us. Items like these are often those beautiful heels you can’t walk in but wish you could, the lovely dress that matches nothing, the goal pants, or the high maintenance garment that you can’t commit to taking care of properly and are afraid of ruining. I understand that sometimes you need less-frequently worn items for special occasions but if you barely attend formal events or fancy parties, you probably don’t need more than two or three fancy dresses. Trust me, you don’t want the guilt of those unworn items weighing on you, so it’s best to let them go.
  1. For the items left that you have worn recently, question why you’ve been wearing them.
During my latest decluttering, I’ve noticed the number of items I wear just as loungewear and/or because all my good clothes are in the wash. I've realised that these were “filler” items (to be distinguished from basics) that existed exclusively for moments when I’d have nothing better to wear. What did this mean? It means that I have too many clothing items and I don’t do the laundry enough. It’s okay to keep some stuff for loungewear, especially if you work from home like I do, but let those pieces be at least almost as well-liked as your daily wear.
  1. Be brutal, but also be kind.
Letting go of something you have invested money, time, or maybe even resources into is never easy. In Marie Kondo’s book, 'The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up' (You knew this book would pop up eventually), Marie would encourage her clients to thank the items they struggle to part with. We as humans believe that any item in good condition has some kind of value, and any items we’ve neglected and are faced with getting rid of seem like wasted value. The best part about this thankful method is it acknowledges this need for something to give you value before you part with it. To use a pair of glittery high heels I bought at a secondhand market as an example, I can say to the shoes “Thank-you for teaching me that I don't like walking in high heels.” This will make it a little easier to part with an item that you like but you know is holding you back.
  1. Take your time.
I like to think of decluttering like stone statue-making; you’re chipping away everything you’re not to uncover who you really are, but if you don’t know who you really are, then you might accidentally chip away a piece of your real self. This is why you should take your time when decluttering your wardrobe, and be sure to get to know yourself along the way. Sometimes doing a huge declutter is necessary for the especially problematic hoarder, but it’s easy to get caught up with getting rid of too much. Remember that what you keep is more important than what you let go.

I firmly believe that your style can improve if you keep only what you need and/or love to wear. With a carefully curated closet uncluttered by carelessly collected clothing, the coord possibilities are not only clearer, but far more enticing!

If you’re looking for more decluttering inspiration, you should check out these links:

Knowing your style is an important part of decluttering your wardrobe so be sure to subscribe to my emailing list at the top of the page to know when ‘How to Find Your Alternative Style - Alternative Fashion Veteran Edition’ comes out.

If you enjoyed this article, you might also enjoy ‘Who Is My Fantasy Self and How Do I Shut Her Up?’.

For more kawaii content, be sure to follow me on Instagram @thecoramaria.

Finally, if you’re an alternative fashion lover interested in sustainability and/or minimalism, you should definitely join the Alternative Fashion Lovers For Sustainability Facebook group for advice, resources, recommended brands, and community discussion.

Question of the Week: How big is your wardrobe currently? Let me know in the comments below or on social media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sustainable Alternative Fashion - The ULTIMATE Resource List

Art by Mika Leo . Many people who join my Facebook group or read my blog often arrive without much knowledge about sustainable fashion or minimalism. This is a huge problem because beginners are the last people I want to alienate. I also feel it isn't necessary to cover all info about sustainable and ethical fashion on my own on my blog when other people have covered these complex topics far better than I could. However while I’m sure that there are already plenty of resource lists out there, I wanted to create one specifically for the alternative fashion community, one that can be updated frequently as I find more resources, or people suggest more resources, or more resources are made. Here, I will provide links not only to resources covering the general ideas of sustainable and ethical fashion, fast fashion, and minimalism, but also the resources and discussions had by people within alternative fashion communities. This is where you can learn about new brands, what

5 Sustainable Tips for Decora Fashion

    At a glance, the bold and busy aesthetic of decora fashion can seem in direct conflict with the values of sustainable fashion and minimalism. I’m here to state that this doesn’t have to be the case. It’s easy to feel excluded by movements that voice the value of simplicity if you or your style appear to be anything but simple, but I’m here to show you how you can marry decora fashion with sustainability and minimalism, so that you can enjoy the benefits of all three! In this article I will give you practical advice that has worked for me to help you engage with this awesome style in a way that has a reduced impact on people and the planet.   Disclaimer: These tips are intended to be implemented with other, more general, sustainable fashion advice, and they will not help you achieve a completely sustainable, waste-free decora lifestyle. Many of the items used in the examples also do not come from sustainable origin. This list focuses on incremental change and using wha

Anxiety and Alternative Fashion - How Did I Overcome It?

I once had a wardrobe too large to make me happy and it looked like this. If you’re a kawaii fashionista, you’ve probably experienced the following: You feel disappointed that you can’t afford all the things you want. You’re jealous of other people’s wardrobes. You wish your style was like someone else’s. You feel pressure to always look good. You often felt like you have nothing to wear. I’ve been in those situations, and they all cause anxiety. It’s something I’ve rarely seen discussed in depth in our community. This is unfortunate because it is so important! Harajuku fashion can and does cause anxiety and self-esteem issues, and we need to discuss how we as a community can reduce or prevent it. I’ll start by explaining how I managed to overcome it, or at least reduce it. I’ll also explain why its coming back as well. Disclaimer: Please note that this is my personal   experience about how my fashion has caused me mild  yet frequen t  anxiet