Skip to main content

Subscribe to be notified of new content!

* indicates required

Sustainable Fashion - What is Your Next Step?


 
Keep looking forward. Photo by @volkphotographyy on Instagram.
 
It’s been a week since Fashion Revolution Week ended, but the fight for a more ethical, sustainable, and transparent fashion industry is not over. After asking "Who made my clothes?", it’s time to ask, “What is my next step?” I believe that any change is good change. If you take any step towards a more sustainable lifestyle, no matter how small, you bet I will congratulate you with much enthusiasm. When you first think about making better choices, you’ll often find yourself overwhelmed by all the wrongs of the world and wonder why you should bother. Instead, you focus on one thing and work on that and see how it goes.

Once you've reached your first goal though, there comes a point when you have to consider what your next step might be. It’s easy to get caught in the trap of “Well I’m already doing something so why do I have to change more?” but in reality that first step is to built momentum, and make every step after that easy to take. If you don’t take any more steps, you lose your momentum, and you could very likely fall into an old or worse pattern. In my experience, when you’re continuously taking steps forward, even if you can’t keep up with all the changes, you realize that you have taken more steps forward than you’ve taken back, and you’ve learned more about your limits in the process. Now you’re ready to try again with something new.

Since transitioning towards a more sustainable fashion lifestyle, I have achieved the following:
  • Switched to only using reusable bags and a reusable cup and straw.
  • Unsubscribed from all channels mainly focused on hauls and overconsumption.
  • Downsized my wardrobe from 13 pairs of shoes and over 70 clothing items to only 6 pairs of shoes and less than 35 clothing items.
  • Drastically reducing my spending and being far more intentional about all of my purchases, thus allowing me to invest in more expensive, higher quality pieces.
  • Purchasing fashion from small businesses or secondhand sellers only.
  • Started a blog, a Facebook group, a Facebook page, and an Instagram to promote and discuss sustainable fashion in the alternative fashion community.
  • Uplifted, supported, and educated other people who also care about or are curious about sustainable fashion.
  • Participated in my first ever Fashion Revolution Week by attending events, emailing brands, and making daily posts on Instagram.
Some of these steps were small and easy, and others were long and difficult. These were only the steps I’ve succeeded at taking, and there are other steps I am still in the process of taking. My next steps are the following:
  • Create a comprehensive resource list answering all questions alternative fashion lovers might have about fast fashion, sustainable fashion, and minimalism.
  • Get rid of all my decluttered clothes by selling them, up cycling them, or giving them away to people who will use them.
  • Donate $20/month to help fight climate change.
  • Buy a portable and reusable cutlery set.
Maybe taking on multiple steps isn’t the best idea, but the first three are already in progress anyway, and the last one should be simple enough to complete. I have other things I would like to pursue in future, such as pushing for more policy change and other forms of public fashion activism, but what about you? What steps have  you taken towards cultivating a more ethical fashion industry, and which step are you hoping to take next? Let me know in the comments below or on social media. 
 
 
ANNOUNCEMENT: Due to various competing commitments, I will now be posting on a fortnightly basis. I still care very deeply about this blog, and it has offered me opportunities I didn't think I could have when my reach is still so small. Unfortunately I am reaching my limits when it comes to my commitments and I need some wiggle room. I will post bonus blogposts whenever I am able to and hope I can transition back to a weekly schedule sometime.

Comments

  1. I'm so proud of your progress with sustainable fashion. I have learned a lot since I started following your Instagram, blog, and facebook. In the space of activism I tend to focus on black femme issues so I never noticed this side of activism but I’m glad I have and get the chance to explore more of what I can do to help little by little. - Jadedisland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for taking so long to respond and thank-you so much for taking the time to comment! Black femme issues are definitely a worthy cause, while the sustainable fashion movement definitely has a diversity issue so we need more people like you joining us. I think the sustainable fashion movement needs to adopt a more intersectional approach because the needs and experiences of a black sustainable fashion advocate is definitely going to be different from a white person. As you continue along your sustainable fashion journey, please do share your experiences with me because I'd love to hear about them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sustainable Alternative Fashion - The ULTIMATE Resource List

Art by Mika Leo . Many people who join my Facebook group or read my blog often arrive without much knowledge about sustainable fashion or minimalism. This is a huge problem because beginners are the last people I want to alienate. I also feel it isn't necessary to cover all info about sustainable and ethical fashion on my own on my blog when other people have covered these complex topics far better than I could. However while I’m sure that there are already plenty of resource lists out there, I wanted to create one specifically for the alternative fashion community, one that can be updated frequently as I find more resources, or people suggest more resources, or more resources are made. Here, I will provide links not only to resources covering the general ideas of sustainable and ethical fashion, fast fashion, and minimalism, but also the resources and discussions had by people within alternative fashion communities. This is where you can learn about new brands, what

5 Sustainable Tips for Decora Fashion

    At a glance, the bold and busy aesthetic of decora fashion can seem in direct conflict with the values of sustainable fashion and minimalism. I’m here to state that this doesn’t have to be the case. It’s easy to feel excluded by movements that voice the value of simplicity if you or your style appear to be anything but simple, but I’m here to show you how you can marry decora fashion with sustainability and minimalism, so that you can enjoy the benefits of all three! In this article I will give you practical advice that has worked for me to help you engage with this awesome style in a way that has a reduced impact on people and the planet.   Disclaimer: These tips are intended to be implemented with other, more general, sustainable fashion advice, and they will not help you achieve a completely sustainable, waste-free decora lifestyle. Many of the items used in the examples also do not come from sustainable origin. This list focuses on incremental change and using wha

Anxiety and Alternative Fashion - How Did I Overcome It?

I once had a wardrobe too large to make me happy and it looked like this. If you’re a kawaii fashionista, you’ve probably experienced the following: You feel disappointed that you can’t afford all the things you want. You’re jealous of other people’s wardrobes. You wish your style was like someone else’s. You feel pressure to always look good. You often felt like you have nothing to wear. I’ve been in those situations, and they all cause anxiety. It’s something I’ve rarely seen discussed in depth in our community. This is unfortunate because it is so important! Harajuku fashion can and does cause anxiety and self-esteem issues, and we need to discuss how we as a community can reduce or prevent it. I’ll start by explaining how I managed to overcome it, or at least reduce it. I’ll also explain why its coming back as well. Disclaimer: Please note that this is my personal   experience about how my fashion has caused me mild  yet frequen t  anxiet