Skip to main content

Subscribe to be notified of new content!

* indicates required

Who is my Fantasy Self and How Do I Shut Her Up?

She told me I could wear these shoes. I was a fool to believe her...

Your fantasy self. You might not have heard of them, but you know their presence deep inside of you. They are everything you are not, but wish you could be.

The most dangerous part about our fantasy selves is how they are shaped by the consumer culture we live in. Media and advertising wants to alter your fantasy self into someone who benefits them. They want you to believe the illusion that you can become the fantasy self with their products. They want you to think that with this new dress or hair dye or make-up product, you will finally be beautiful and happy, just like that perfect image of yourself in your head. Or if you buy these expensive comic markers, then maybe you’ll finally start drawing, or actually start being good at it, right? For someone so imaginary, the fantasy self is surprisingly demanding. What it comes down to is how much stuff you buy that goes unused, and how much guilt and shame they cause every time you look at them.

Who is my Fantasy Self?

I feel as though it’s difficult for me to know who she is anymore, since my values are undergoing significant change. My fantasy self has perfectly maintained dyed hair and nails, which she doesn’t bite. She can always stay on schedule with organisational apps, and she doesn’t have a processing speed deficiency like I do. She earns more money which she uses to spend on Lazy Oaf, Irregular Choice, and YRU, and honestly looks a lot more like Pixielocks than I am willing to admit. Oh, and let’s not forget, she can actually walk in high heels.

Fantasy Cora has a DSLR camera and makes YouTube videos and can edit photos and can speak Japanese and travels and spends more time with friends without getting exhausted or worrying about how expensive outings can be because she can pay for it!

Some examples of things she convinced me to buy but I don’t use:
  • Nail wraps despite my nails being short and crooked from biting them (I have been improving though).
  • High heels that hurt seconds into wearing them (see picture).
  • Thrifted formal dresses for fancy events I don’t go to.
  • Long, high maintenance wigs I don’t have the patience to brush.
  • A plushie alpaca backpack that has no room for my things.
  • Cosplay supplies for things I don’t know how to make.
  • Some fancy pegs for some elaborate and intimidating jewellery storage idea I had in mind.

Most of those listed items weren't from large corporations with aggressive advertising, but their purchase was the result of unhealthy consumer habits instilled within me from a young age.

How is she hurting me?

She is an unrealistic standard that constantly reminds me that I am not good enough, while also giving me the false hope that if I have this thing or that, I will become her. I will be happier. So what does she make me do? Spend money on cute things I don’t actually use or wear, shame me for not using or wearing them, or shame me for not being able to afford them in the first place. And then I feel terrible about having Autism Spectrum Disorder which gets in the way of my productivity which is why I don’t earn enough to fulfil this lavish image that perpetually hangs over me. Yeah, Fantasy Cora is kinda ableist...

I doubt I’ll be able to truly escape the unending hunger of wanting more, but Fantasy Cora amplifies that hunger unnecessarily. That’s why it’s in my best interest to shut her the hell up.

How do I shut her up?
  • I won’t purchase something expensive to do a particular activity without committing to the activity first. For example, I will not purchase a proper filming camera until I have consistently made videos on my phone and/or laptop.
  • Whenever I want to purchase a fashion item, I will consider the practicality, the comfort, how well it matches my current wardrobe, how versatile the item is, and if I have any similar items already.
  • I’ve greatly reduced my spending, especially for fashion, so I can better appreciate what I already have.
  • I'm painting a clearer picture of what I do want so I’m not as tempted by distractions. For example, the next convention I attend I will likely focus mainly on Steven Universe pins for my Ita bag.
  • I’m unfollowing a bunch of brands and unsubscribing from YouTubers who mostly do hauls so I’m not constantly bombarded with items I find myself lusting after. (Though I still follow some brands for style inspiration and to keep up with my local fashion scene.)
  • Finally, I’ve decluttered and am still decluttering the items I don’t use or wear so that they aren’t around to remind me of the person I’m not. This makes the items I do love and use that much more visible.

I know this post focuses on my own experiences, but I hope it encourages you to think about your own fantasy self and give you some ideas on how to shut them the hell up! As someone with one foot in the kawaii community, and one foot in minimalism and sustainability, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to quell Fantasy Cora to a whisper, but I can still choose not to listen to her. If I’m honest and trust myself, I should be okay. I hope you’ll be okay too, and you’ll be able to quiet that voice in your own way to make room for the real you.

Learn more about the fantasy self:



If you liked this article, you might also like 'Anxiety and Alternative Fashion'.

For blogpost notifications and other kawaii content, be sure to follow me on Instagram. 

Question of the week: What's your fantasy self like? Comment below or tell me your answer on social media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sustainable Alternative Fashion - The ULTIMATE Resource List

Art by Mika Leo . Many people who join my Facebook group or read my blog often arrive without much knowledge about sustainable fashion or minimalism. This is a huge problem because beginners are the last people I want to alienate. I also feel it isn't necessary to cover all info about sustainable and ethical fashion on my own on my blog when other people have covered these complex topics far better than I could. However while I’m sure that there are already plenty of resource lists out there, I wanted to create one specifically for the alternative fashion community, one that can be updated frequently as I find more resources, or people suggest more resources, or more resources are made. Here, I will provide links not only to resources covering the general ideas of sustainable and ethical fashion, fast fashion, and minimalism, but also the resources and discussions had by people within alternative fashion communities. This is where you can learn about new brands, what

5 Sustainable Tips for Decora Fashion

    At a glance, the bold and busy aesthetic of decora fashion can seem in direct conflict with the values of sustainable fashion and minimalism. I’m here to state that this doesn’t have to be the case. It’s easy to feel excluded by movements that voice the value of simplicity if you or your style appear to be anything but simple, but I’m here to show you how you can marry decora fashion with sustainability and minimalism, so that you can enjoy the benefits of all three! In this article I will give you practical advice that has worked for me to help you engage with this awesome style in a way that has a reduced impact on people and the planet.   Disclaimer: These tips are intended to be implemented with other, more general, sustainable fashion advice, and they will not help you achieve a completely sustainable, waste-free decora lifestyle. Many of the items used in the examples also do not come from sustainable origin. This list focuses on incremental change and using wha

Anxiety and Alternative Fashion - How Did I Overcome It?

I once had a wardrobe too large to make me happy and it looked like this. If you’re a kawaii fashionista, you’ve probably experienced the following: You feel disappointed that you can’t afford all the things you want. You’re jealous of other people’s wardrobes. You wish your style was like someone else’s. You feel pressure to always look good. You often felt like you have nothing to wear. I’ve been in those situations, and they all cause anxiety. It’s something I’ve rarely seen discussed in depth in our community. This is unfortunate because it is so important! Harajuku fashion can and does cause anxiety and self-esteem issues, and we need to discuss how we as a community can reduce or prevent it. I’ll start by explaining how I managed to overcome it, or at least reduce it. I’ll also explain why its coming back as well. Disclaimer: Please note that this is my personal   experience about how my fashion has caused me mild  yet frequen t  anxiet