Skip to main content

Subscribe to be notified of new content!

* indicates required

My Top 10 Favourite Outfits of 2019

Honorable mention. Photography by @vessmess_create
Glasses: secondhand. Earrings: Denni Carroll. Top: thrifted. Skirt: suitcase rummage. Purse: suitcase rummage.

While the latter half of 2018 had me questioning everything I knew about fashion, 2019 was a year of finally discovering my true style. Some of the outfits I have managed to put together have astounded even myself with their creativity, flattery, and cohesiveness. As the year closes, I believe it is only fair to reflect on my favourite outfits of 2019.


Photography by @alangamblephotography
Dress: Depop. Jewellery: local creator.

10. January GOMA Fashion Meet

This was one of my first outfits of the year and we're off to a strong start! While some of my looks involve coordinating several different points into one OTT outfit, this one took a simpler approach, coordinating only three main elements with this adorable sprinkles dress; pastel purple, hot pink, and iridescent sparkles. While I felt somewhat underdressed at the meet and did not have as much of the wardrobe I have today, I still managed to look like a magical girl in this outfit. In fact, if I were a cartoon character who could only wear one outfit all the time, this would probably be it. The accessories and leg wear never overshadowed the dress itself, which I was determined to show off at the meet after pining for it for a year or so.


Shrug: ELC Vintage. Tie top: Coy Street Clothing. Jewellery: local creator.

9. Day 3 of the Fashion Revolution Weekend

If there is one word to describe how this outfit came to be, it would be luck. Yesterday I had been eying up that tie top from Coy Street Clothing, but couldn’t afford it until I won it in a lucky door prize. That day, I found this gorgeous rainbow shrug at ELC Vintage’s store at the vintage markets, and it topped off the look perfectly. Even my icon, Leah the Unmaterial Girl, had to feature it on her Instagram story. This look helped solidify my love of simple and abstract prints, like the gingham, zigzags, and sketch-like plus signs. They’re timeless, easy to mix and match, and there’s no expectation to match a theme.


Photography by @vessmess_create
Rainbow turtleneck: Depop. Shirt: thrifted. Hat: thrifted. Purse: Depop. Earrings: 4you Earrings.

8. Tea Festival

When I wore this outfit, I thought I looked very androgynous; too masculine to be perceived as female and too feminine to be perceived as male, and yet random strangers, including an entire family who thought it appropriate to swarm me for a photobomb, still assumed I was female. Were their assumptions correct? Yes, but I didn’t feel like I was performing femininity much that day, and it started to bother me how cisnormative society was “right about me all along.” This outfit sparked my second time questioning my gender, as I struggled to reconcile my gender identity with the one I was assigned at birth. Now I have more of an answer: I’m an AFAB female who rejects the label of cisgender because it erases the fact that I have gone through that questioning process and defined a version of femininity for myself that does not belong on a gender binary, but a gender spectrum. I go by she/her and they/them, I take fashion inspiration from trans and non-binary people in the community, and I express my womanhood however I damn well please! This outfit helped me realise that I can identify as female on the gender spectrum while also rejecting the system that assigned me female on the gender binary.


Photography by @vessmess_create
Rainbow turtleneck: Depop. Vest: suitcase rummage find upcycled by me.  Skirt: handmade. Hat: thrifted. Earrings: suitcase rummage.

7. Kawaii Leaders Entry

I knew I had barely any chance of making it to the finals of the Kawaii Leaders Competition, but I thought it would be worth a try anyway, hence why I entered with this outfit that I considered to be my best one yet. The great thing about the Kawaii Leaders Competition is that all the contestants were telling their friends to go vote for each other. It lead to myself and others discovering other awesome creators and being discovered by them in turn. That’s why, even though you’re certain you won’t win, it’s still worth a try to enter the competition.

This outfit was also the start of me dipping my toe back into decora, as I had decluttered most of my accessories collection by this point. Thanks to the local meets being hosted by @xeno_morphine, I was inspired to get back into it and I haven’t regretted it since!


Top: Strawberry Skies Design. Dungarees: Lucy & Yak. Glasses: secondhand. Earrings: Denni Carroll.

6. Farewell, University

When I asked my lovely followers on Instagram which of my outfits from this year was their favourite, the most popular choice was this silk top made from vintage kimono fabric wrapped over pastel rainbow Lucy & Yak dungarees. The combination was striking, flattering, and a little outside the box. This was an outfit I wore to a research interview about sustainable fashion at my university, and it was my last time on campus as a student. This outfit made me feel powerful and ready to take on the professional world! Sometimes it’s worth celebrating our everyday outfits just as much as the OTT ones we wear to fashion meets.


Photography by @vessmess_create
Dress: CLEAN the Label. Shrug: ELC Vintage. Beret: A Curated Collective. Earrings: 4you Earrings.

5. Gothic and Alternative Fashion Picnic

I was one of two pastel people at this picnic, which was to be expected, but it was still a great opportunity to spend time with friends and get some of the gosh darn best photos I’ve ever seen! (Go follow @vessmess_create because they’re amazing.) This was a look that proved just how elegant sustainable alternative fashion can be. The fabric scrap dress and vintage shrug paired beautifully, and the accessories tied it all together into the perfect outfit.


Button up shirt: thrifted. Peplum top: GRUMP Online. Turtleneck: Depop. Gingham skirt: handmade. Tulle skirt: suitcase rummage. Purse: Depop. Earrings: 4you Earrings.

4. Pride

This was my second Pride and the first one where I felt more comfortable with my queer identity. While my first Pride had little asexual visibility and I was afraid of being “too visible” because I was “too straight”, my second Pride was when I decided to be as visible as possible because I am here and I am queer no matter what the gatekeepers say. Alternative fashion has been an important way for me to express my queer identity because it allows me to dress outside cishet norms. Decora is designed to be colourful and fun, not sexually appealing to the male gaze. I’m forcing people who look upon me to acknowledge my creativity and individuality rather than the “sexiness” of my body. While some find expressing their sexuality on their own terms empowering, I find rejecting any expectation to perform sexuality liberating, hence why I feel like this look was perfect for Pride.


Photography by @vessmess_create
Dress: Depop. Glasses: secondhand. Purse: Depop. Earrings: 4you Earrings.

3. Roma Street Parklands Flower Gardens

It marvels even myself sometimes the many ways I can coordinate this dress, as it works with both pastels and bright rainbow colours. It’s a dress that I can toss on for everyday wear or dress up for a meet. This look felt so party kei, so put together, and so very me. It has all my staples: the sprinkles dress, the rainbow turtleneck, the glasses, the beret, the dangly earrings, the sparkly platform shoes, and more. If this outfit proves anything, it’s that its always possible to repeat items and outfits in new and exciting ways.


Photography by @sunlover1
Turtleneck: Depop. Peplum top: GRUMP Online. Vest: suitcase rummage find upcycled by me. Pants: CLEAN the Label (gifted). Earrings: 4you Earrings and suitcase rummage.

2. Brisbane Supanova

March was when I started to dip my toe back into decora, and this coord from November shows that I have fully dived back into it. I did a styling vlog for this coord with these amazing pants as a starting point. They were gifted to me by Christina of CLEAN the Label and inspired me to take a more kidcore turn. How I do decora now is wildly different from how I did it before I almost quit, and it has helped me find some unique staples that work for my new style. For example, using more “neutral” or simple patterns like stripes and 90’s inspired print, wearing my hair clips along the edge of my beret so my natural hair doesn't look awkward, wearing upcycled items like my battle vest and  pants, reusing craft gems on my face, etc. Decora is a style that can be challenging because there are so many elements to fit together at once, but I can say with absolute certainty that this is the best decora outfit I’ve created thus far and it proves how sustainable decora can be.


Photography by @blueserenade
Dress: CLEAN the Label. Vest: GlitterRiotGoods (gifted). Shrug: ELC Vintage. Beret: A Curated Collective. Earrings: 4you Earrings. Jewellery: small and mostly local creators.

1. Harajuku Fashion Walk

I cannot begin to describe how much this outfit means to me and my growth as a fashion enthusiast, and I genuinely believe it to be the most creative and thought out outfit I have ever put together. Who would have thought to layer a vintage shrug over a battle vest over a dress made from fabric scraps? Certainly not me! Except it was me. I thought of that, I wore that, and people loved it!

It’s an outfit that truly broadcasts my stance on fashion and represents the community I’ve developed, from the fabric scrap dress by my favourite designer, to the gifted upcycled vest with ‘ECO GIRL’ painted across the back, to the vintage shrug I purchased from the Fashion Revolution Weekend market. Since the annual Harajuku Fashion Walk has the most press and attendees of any alternative fashion event in the year, I knew this was the moment to showcase who I am and what I believe in through fashion. I can’t wait to see how I broadcast my message at the next fashion walk!



Thank-you to everyone who has ever read, liked, shared, or commented on my work or been a part of our community. It means so much to me to have so much support and have an opportunity to inspire others to embrace a more sustainable fashion lifestyle. I will continue to be the best example I can be of kawaii sustainability in 2020 and I can’t wait to see what I achieve next year! 

Comments

  1. You had a great year discovering your fashion and living as a sustainable Jfashion activist~ I can’t wait to see what 2020 brings your style & activism in growth! I think my favorite outfit was your third, that dress is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much 💖I hope next year I can participate in more public action targeting the brands themselves rather than the consumers.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the best information and suggestions, it is very nice and very useful to us. I appreciate the work that you have shared in this post. Keep sharing these types of articles here. Online Women Clothing Store

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. emo girl outfits

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate with your blog post and ideas thanks for share
    Body Jewellery Shop Discount Code

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing ideas for colorful outfits! Thanks for sharing! Great job!
    Visit my fanpage at: sơ mi nữ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post! Hello, are you still updating your blog? I just want to know if you can still update your blog. I'm Ethan from romytisa.com(a women's bag store including genuine leather tote bags) and I just want to reach out for a possible collaboration! If you are interested please contact me at contact@romytisa.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your blog, it is very nice and informative. If you want to know about traditional jewellery then Read this blog Traditional Indian Jewellery

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Outfit and article Must Visit : Toy Sale

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Lovely Post I really recommend you to must visit Makeup Bag

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love ALL of the wonderfully feminine colourful outfits you styled and were wearing in the fabulous outfit photos above!!!!!!
    I am especially loving:
    The 'honorable mention' plaid mini-skirt styled with the purple dress shirt and pink bowtie;
    The airy puff-sleeved yellow trimmed pink-with-sprinkles mini-dress (I would probably style it with either yellow or powder blue full brief nylon panties underneath) that you wore for both the 'January GOMA Fashion Meet' and for Pride '3. Roma Street Flower Gardens';
    The '7. Kawaii Leaders Entry' short sleeved rainbow mock turtleneck Tee styled with the lavender denim jacket and pink gingham mini-skirt.
    Your fashion taste is fabulous!

    My blog Full Brief Panties
    My videos misterpantybuns's YouTube channel
    My Twitter @Panty_Buns

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sustainable Alternative Fashion - The ULTIMATE Resource List

Art by Mika Leo . Many people who join my Facebook group or read my blog often arrive without much knowledge about sustainable fashion or minimalism. This is a huge problem because beginners are the last people I want to alienate. I also feel it isn't necessary to cover all info about sustainable and ethical fashion on my own on my blog when other people have covered these complex topics far better than I could. However while I’m sure that there are already plenty of resource lists out there, I wanted to create one specifically for the alternative fashion community, one that can be updated frequently as I find more resources, or people suggest more resources, or more resources are made. Here, I will provide links not only to resources covering the general ideas of sustainable and ethical fashion, fast fashion, and minimalism, but also the resources and discussions had by people within alternative fashion communities. This is where you can learn about new brands, what

5 Sustainable Tips for Decora Fashion

    At a glance, the bold and busy aesthetic of decora fashion can seem in direct conflict with the values of sustainable fashion and minimalism. I’m here to state that this doesn’t have to be the case. It’s easy to feel excluded by movements that voice the value of simplicity if you or your style appear to be anything but simple, but I’m here to show you how you can marry decora fashion with sustainability and minimalism, so that you can enjoy the benefits of all three! In this article I will give you practical advice that has worked for me to help you engage with this awesome style in a way that has a reduced impact on people and the planet.   Disclaimer: These tips are intended to be implemented with other, more general, sustainable fashion advice, and they will not help you achieve a completely sustainable, waste-free decora lifestyle. Many of the items used in the examples also do not come from sustainable origin. This list focuses on incremental change and using wha

Anxiety and Alternative Fashion - How Did I Overcome It?

I once had a wardrobe too large to make me happy and it looked like this. If you’re a kawaii fashionista, you’ve probably experienced the following: You feel disappointed that you can’t afford all the things you want. You’re jealous of other people’s wardrobes. You wish your style was like someone else’s. You feel pressure to always look good. You often felt like you have nothing to wear. I’ve been in those situations, and they all cause anxiety. It’s something I’ve rarely seen discussed in depth in our community. This is unfortunate because it is so important! Harajuku fashion can and does cause anxiety and self-esteem issues, and we need to discuss how we as a community can reduce or prevent it. I’ll start by explaining how I managed to overcome it, or at least reduce it. I’ll also explain why its coming back as well. Disclaimer: Please note that this is my personal   experience about how my fashion has caused me mild  yet frequen t  anxiet