Skip to main content

Subscribe to be notified of new content!

* indicates required

5 Reasons Why I DON'T Miss Fast Fashion

@blueserenade
A year ago, I decided that I was no longer going to support the fast fashion industry whenever possible. I could no longer, in good conscious, give my money and attention to such a cruel and corrupt industry. Because I never relied 100% on fast fashion, I wasn't missing much, and I have since opted for more sustainable alternatives and ways of thinking. I won’t detail the ethical and environmental issues of fast fashion here, but I will give you my top five reasons why I don’t miss fast fashion from a consumer perspective. If you are someone who does still shop fast fashion for any reason, please read this article: ‘How to be Sustainable if Fast Fashion is Your ONLY Option’.


  1. It’s poor quality.
Some of it is admittedly decent, and some of it is absolutely shoddy. At Factorie, I bought a purple and white striped top with a lovely pink around the neck hole but after one wash it shrank and became nearly unwearable, insisting that it exposed a strip of my midriff to the world in the least flattering way possible. The Pusheen sweatpants I bought from H&M started getting a hole in the crotch after only about five wears. The jeans I got from Cotton On either frayed or got horrendously crumpled in the wash. Fast fashion is intended to be so poor quality that it only looks good for a few wears. Now that I’m investing my money into better quality pieces, I have no reason to return to fast fashion.
  1. It fits weird.
Especially those tight-fitting, trendy pieces. I have had moments when I’d try something that fits awkwardly, so then I’d size up and it’s still not fitting properly but now it’s too big. The piece looks so cute when it’s on the hanger or the mannequin but as soon as I put it on, it transforms into something uglier. I’m not implying that I’m ugly by any means, but it feels like it has happened enough times for it to almost seem deliberate, like they expect you to buy it anyway (which I did once), take it home, and never wear it again because it. Just. Does. Not. Fit. I mean, if you’re not wearing the clothes you buy, you’ll probably need to buy more clothes, wouldn’t you?
  1. It’s boring.
It only ever copies other ideas, it doesn’t have any interesting context or backstory, and it’s so easy to find. Anyone can walk into a fast fashion store and walk out with something cute, but I want something I have to work a little harder for. I want something with a backstory and fast fashion cannot deliver on that like small businesses and vintage stores can. Fast fashion can and does sell things that appeal to the aesthetics of people who like to dress extra, but I’d rather tell people “I got this from an independent designer who upcycles fabric scraps” than “I saw it at Forever 21 and thought it was cute."
  1. It’s unhealthy.
As Fashion Activist Livia Firth once said, “Fast fashion is like fast food; after the sugar rush it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.” Just like junk food, fast fashion is addicting. You find yourself craving more clothes and accessories all the time, and when you’re hungry and you see it in front of you, it’s hard to resist. Suddenly, you have all this useless crap lying around making you feel guilty, and you’re regretting buying it all. Sustainable fashion is healthy and nourishing and has you feeling better for longer. It gives me lasting confidence whenever I wear it.
  1. I didn’t need it to begin with.
I’ve always relied on hand-me-downs, independent brands, and secondhand clothes more than I’ve relied on fast fashion, even if I did consume with a fast fashion mindset. Boycotting it has made me realise how little fast fashion means to me and my style. When I decluttered my wardrobe, many items I let go of were mediocre fast fashion purchases, and the pieces I liked the most were from independent brands. I still love and wear some of my old fast fashion, but with the right mindset I can easily source and afford 90% of my future fashion purchases secondhand or from small businesses.


While not everyone has the privilege of quitting fast fashion (and even I might have to rely on it occasionally), you can quit the fast fashion mindset. Buy less, choose quality, and use longer. Quitting the fast fashion mindset has allowed me to reduce the thirst for more, more, more, and afforded me the mental space to find my own personal style. I don't have to accept all the annoying flaws of fast fashion as "normal" anymore, because there are other, better options out there for me, and they could be out there for you too.


If you liked the outfit featured in this post, you should check out my recently uploaded vlog of the 2019 Harajuku Fashion Walk in Brisbane. 

Comments

  1. I totally agree with you !

    Especially the third point : it's so cool to wear something unique ! I can't wait to wear my two most recent thrift finds : an old ( I won't say vintage for this one but it wasn't fast fashion it's very good quality) dress for a 10 yo kid that I want to transform into a skirt that fits me and a vintage, maybe even antique blouse which was probably hand-made❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! Vintage is so cool 💖

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sustainable Alternative Fashion - The ULTIMATE Resource List

Art by Mika Leo . Many people who join my Facebook group or read my blog often arrive without much knowledge about sustainable fashion or minimalism. This is a huge problem because beginners are the last people I want to alienate. I also feel it isn't necessary to cover all info about sustainable and ethical fashion on my own on my blog when other people have covered these complex topics far better than I could. However while I’m sure that there are already plenty of resource lists out there, I wanted to create one specifically for the alternative fashion community, one that can be updated frequently as I find more resources, or people suggest more resources, or more resources are made. Here, I will provide links not only to resources covering the general ideas of sustainable and ethical fashion, fast fashion, and minimalism, but also the resources and discussions had by people within alternative fashion communities. This is where you can learn about new brands, what

5 Sustainable Tips for Decora Fashion

    At a glance, the bold and busy aesthetic of decora fashion can seem in direct conflict with the values of sustainable fashion and minimalism. I’m here to state that this doesn’t have to be the case. It’s easy to feel excluded by movements that voice the value of simplicity if you or your style appear to be anything but simple, but I’m here to show you how you can marry decora fashion with sustainability and minimalism, so that you can enjoy the benefits of all three! In this article I will give you practical advice that has worked for me to help you engage with this awesome style in a way that has a reduced impact on people and the planet.   Disclaimer: These tips are intended to be implemented with other, more general, sustainable fashion advice, and they will not help you achieve a completely sustainable, waste-free decora lifestyle. Many of the items used in the examples also do not come from sustainable origin. This list focuses on incremental change and using wha

Anxiety and Alternative Fashion - How Did I Overcome It?

I once had a wardrobe too large to make me happy and it looked like this. If you’re a kawaii fashionista, you’ve probably experienced the following: You feel disappointed that you can’t afford all the things you want. You’re jealous of other people’s wardrobes. You wish your style was like someone else’s. You feel pressure to always look good. You often felt like you have nothing to wear. I’ve been in those situations, and they all cause anxiety. It’s something I’ve rarely seen discussed in depth in our community. This is unfortunate because it is so important! Harajuku fashion can and does cause anxiety and self-esteem issues, and we need to discuss how we as a community can reduce or prevent it. I’ll start by explaining how I managed to overcome it, or at least reduce it. I’ll also explain why its coming back as well. Disclaimer: Please note that this is my personal   experience about how my fashion has caused me mild  yet frequen t  anxiet